Saturday, February 14, 2015

Al-Fatiha (The Opening)

Seven verses isn't really a whole lot to write an opinion off of, especially if it's praise for God (and the request for God's guidance) in similar terms that all the Abrahamic religions use. Wikipedia has a surprisingly lengthy entry on this particular Surah, stating that it's the most recited Surah in the Qur'an and is a terse preface for the rest of the readings. What I find curious is that other than the Arabic language (which is a quintessential part of the Qur'an, I'll admit), there's nothing wholly... unique about this particular God (I guess I'll refer to him as Allah from now on) compared to Yahweh or Christ. I'll obviously get a better picture as I continue to read, but if you recited to me "Praise be to God, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds; Most Gracious, Most Merciful; Master of the Day of Judgement", I wouldn't necessarily know which of the three major religions you were referring to.

No comments:

Post a Comment